Monday 23 March 2009

Diving in Turks and Caicos

The weather continued to be "not great". The wind was strong and in the north and the wave heights were high. This meant that the closer dives weren’t possible and the dive boats were venturing out to French Cay and West Caicos which involved high speed, bouncy loud trips of around an hour. Consequently, Alex couldn’t accompany us and whoever was diving was away from the boat until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So Chris and I each did one day with Jamie and we all saw some pretty cool fish including shark! Jamie and I were near the end of our first dive and I had just become interested in a cream and brown mottled fish that had spread its gills right out for cleaning. I was pointing it out to Jamie as she was pointing energetically behind me. Lo and behold a Caribbean reef shark was right there. We also saw a honeycomb cowfish -- the one I saw was iridescent blue – and a huge green moray amongst all the usual blue tang, black durgeon etc., etc., and so on. Diving with Jamie on my own was a big deal for me: I’m not as experienced as Chris and am used to relying on him as my buddy – now I was theoretically the more qualified and experienced!

Unfortunately we don’t have our own photos of the experience – but here are some illustrative images!

No comments: