Friday 27 February 2009

Really no Mora!

From Jamie:
Moored up in a bay in St John. Dad and I were talking about the baby fish that were swimming next to the starboard hull. I went inside to start school when I heard Dad scream.
“Jamie! Quickly! Alex! Quick come look at this in the water! It’s there!” he cried pointing to the right.

From Alex:
I dashed to the stern when I heard Dad call. He told us to go to the starboard, then to the port, then he said to come down to the dinghy (which I wish was a rib) so I rushed down and I saw what I thought was a shark! I nearly screamed but I managed to stop myself.

From Jamie:
Sharks! The words swirled around my head. Could they really be sharks? A sudden urge to exit the dinghy and get back on the boat flooded through me but I managed to stop myself. After that Dad quietly put the waterproof camera under the water and started filming. One of the creatures was just acting relaxed and cool while swimming back and forth between the hulls.

From Alex:
Mum accidentally dropped some spaghetti in the sea so instead of just swimming round the boat they were charging at the food which was right beside the dinghy. I was scared to death.

From Kim:
There were about 4 of these fish. They were around 3-4 feet long and they really looked like sharks when they were feeding!

From Jamie:
... suddenly it raced towards the camera and Dad snatched the camera back in to the dinghy. Our hearts were now pounding. As the creature came close we saw that it had what looked like a bootprint on its head.

From Alex:
Dad said they were remora.

From Jamie:
The boot print was its suction pad. But the fins weren’t quite right.

From Alex:
I got off the dinghy onto the boat.

From Jamie:
Finally the worry was over although I must say I’m not keen on swimming in this bay ever again because the fins were not remora fins but the tail was not a shark-like tail. So we’re still not sure what they are.

From Chris:
I checked out the creatures on the Internet and in the National Parks Office and they are remora – although not a very common kind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, This looks really scary!!! How did you see it???