Friday 18 July 2008

Sailing through the night: Cephalonia to Galaxidhi 18/07/08

Our next destination was the best port for visiting Delphi – a place Chris and I had wanted to see for 30 years. To get there involved my first overnight sailing and experience of “watches”. The moon was now full, so it was never truly dark across the entrance to the Gulf of Corinth. Chris and I did the first shift together so I understood what was involved. From 4 in the morning, I was on my own. It was an uneventful watch except for an inadvertent incursion into a naval restricted zone which had me glancing over my shoulder for the rest of the morning.

We passed under the new mile long Rhion-Antirhion bridge and into the gulf of Corinth just behind another catamaran, Lady Soul, at lunchtime. Alex did some much needed “swab jobs”! He takes his responsibilities very seriously! We moored smoothly in Galaxidhi mid afternoon.

No comments: